remotely connect to a Win 10 PC from a iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrMister111, Sep 16, 2016.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Father getting a new laptop (he's old and everything is a struggle to explain over phone!), it'll have Win 10 on. I have an iMac with 10.11.6 on, iPad and iPhone.

Is there an app, or way to be able to connect to his laptop at home to save me going around when something (to me) simple needs doing, e.g. printing!

I'd prefer free, but willing to pay if necessary, but not much as it won't be used that much. Simple is good to setup, I see some apps etc that seem to be free, but worried that they route through their server or something and spam etc. I'd prefer something secure.

thanks

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Have a look at TeamViewer - should do everything you need (there are also iPad and iPhone apps for it) and it is free for non-commercial use :)

3. MrMister111, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks will do, sounds perfect...so wheres the catch ;) Looks like its a monthly (expensive) cost, not worth it for what I want, £27/month?

Anyone used this?

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I have been using this application for years now, it works very well and is very easy to use.

There is no cost, it is free to use for non-commercial purposes.

I try to make sure that I am using an Ethernet connection when I use it (as opposed to wireless), to make things as smooth as possible. I have never tried using a wireless connection so I cannot comment on that.

No catch as far as I can tell.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As I said (and re-iterated by @prisstratton) - there's no cost at all for non-commercial use: You get exactly the same functionality except for a pop-up at the end saying it's not for commercial use. Have a look here for more info about why they do this:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/credentials/free-for-personal-use/