Remotely connecting via VNC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chainprayer, Oct 6, 2008.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I have my MacBook set up so it can be accessed via VNC. When the two computers are connected to the same network they can talk to each other using the 10.0.0.2 IP address.

The problem is that I cannot find a way for them to connect when they are on different networks. Do I have to make any changes to my AirPort configuration to obtain an IP address I can connect to?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

This is not too tough, but does require getting your hands slightly dirty. First of all you will really save some headaches if you set your home network IP's to be static for each computer on the network (but mainly for the ones you want to VNC to). Do this by going to System Prefs>Network>Airport>Advanced>TCP/IP>DHCP with Manual address. Type in your 10.0.0.x IP.

Next you need your world IP. The easiest way to get this is www.whatismyip.com . Plain and simple. You can further save headaches on this by using a DynDNS.org address. But is really not necessary at this moment and can wait until later.

Now you will need to forward your router ports to aim at your computer of choice. What this is doing is saying that any outside request for VNC will be correctly routed to the computer of your choice. Use this link to figure out how to forward your port 5900 to aim at your local computer IP (10.0.0.x).
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Apple/AirPortExtreme/OSXvnc.htm

Now you should be set I think. I don't think I left anything out, but maybe someone will add a thing or two. If more Q's let me know, I use FTP, VNC, and SSH everyday because it is just so useful.