Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
how can i remotely control a windows pc from my mac, over the internet?
i am looking for software based options. price is not a worry.
and the same time im looking for the reverse option of connected to my mac from a pc over the internet.

thanks

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
how can i remotely control a windows pc from my mac, over the internet?
i am looking for software based options. price is not a worry.
and the same time im looking for the reverse option of connected to my mac from a pc over the internet.

thanks

If you can VPN to the network of the Windows PC, you can use Microsoft's Remote Desktop for Mac ( Mactopia.com ). otherwise, something like GoToMyPC might work.

I've never tried controlling my Mac from Windows, but I think a VNC Client would do the trick. Maybe "Back to My Mac"?

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I use LogMeIn to log into my work computer from my Mac and vice versa.

If you only need to login to a windows machine and not the other way around, then going to go the RDC route is probably best. You can also use CoRD for RDC connections, which I've also used and liked.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
RDC for the Mac. It supports more features than the Unix based RDC clients including audio, drive redirection, etc.

The computer that your trying to control has to be connected to an internet connection with a static IP address. Then you need to port forward Port 3389 to the IP of the PC your trying to access on your router.

Depending on if it is a computer on a domain or not you will also need to add the username your logging into to the Remote Desktop Users Group. On XP/Visa/7 right click on My Computer/Computer, properties. In XP there is a Remote tab, and Vista/Win7 there is a Remote Desktop link on the right. On both there will be a Users/Groups button. You have to add the username and the user name must have a password.

If its a domain account you need to do:

domain\username

If its a local account just the username but again you must have a password assigned, and if its a domain account then RDP cannot be disallowed via a policy.

Make sure your going through Remote Desktop, not Remote Assistance which is something else.

RDC for the Mac works great, I spend most of my day in it connected to customers servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.