Remotely install apps on stolen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joewillmott, May 19, 2013.

1. joewillmott macrumors regular

I have had my iPhone for a few weeks and it's been stolen. Rather annoying. Anyway the thief has turned off "find my iPhone" and I keep facetiming it from my mac hoping somebody will pick up, but no luck yet. I have put a message on it saying "Lost iPhone, contains all my work so a reward is offered to whoever finds it. Please text XXXXX. Thank you." but also no luck yet.

I have found some pretty good apps such as Lookout, but I need to install them on the iPhone first. I recently turned on my iPod Touch for the first time in ages and it's got all the apps I downloaded on my iPhone already installed... how? I would like to do that with my stolen iPhone so that Lookout gets installed on it.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a setting where you can tell an iOS device to automatically install apps that are downloaded. So for example, if you install a new app on your iPhone it will automatically get installed on the Touch. That is what happened in your case.

The problem is this only works inside you own network with all devices connected to the same wifi router. It won't work on your stolen iPhone and there is no way for you to install apps on it now.

Sorry about your iPhone. :(

3. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

Damnit, I was worried that might be the case. Thank you for the help. I guess it's time to invest in another...