Remotely Manage the Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by supercooled, Jul 3, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Hi, I just bought myself a Mini 1.83 with the sole purpose of using it as a file server. I'm currently administering it via screen sharing over wifi which feels rather tethered in a way. As far as iTunes is concerned, I'm simply sharing the library. What about file sharing; can I create a folder on my other computers pointing to, for example, the download folder on the mini (server)? Furthermore, I would like to point my download folders on my other computers to corrospond tot he folder on the Mini so everything is synched up.

What's the best way to achieve this?

2. negatv1 macrumors 6502

Unless I'm missing the point - you'd just need to turn on file sharing on a mini, share a folder and mount said share on your other computer(s).

3. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

You got the point. Thanks!

Now, is there a way to point the download folder to a specific location, i.e the NAS? So far this seems not to be the case. I can always synch it/ back it up periodically. Worth asking anyway.

4. Tracer macrumors 6502

Look under preferences in Safari, it should indicate where all of your files are being downloaded. Simply set it to the shared network drive.

Tracer