Remotely waking up a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acutshall, Jul 9, 2009.

1. acutshall macrumors newbie

I am trying to access my computer remotely via Logmein however it is either in sleep/suspend mode and the remote software is not active as a result. Anyway I can wake it up and prevent from happening in future?
    thx

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Not remotely, you can't. What you CAN do, though, once you have physical access to the Mac again, is to enable the "Wake for Ethernet administrator access" option in Energy Saver. With this turned on, if you send a command to the Mac while it's asleep, it will wake up.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Last I checked that only works from the local subnet, and you must use a program like 'Wake on LAN' to send a magic packet.

Not just any command can wake your Mac even if you have it set to Wake for Ethernet Administrator Access.

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

This is true -- routers often have a wake-on-LAN function, which works well because even when computers are put to sleep, the router usually stays on all the time.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

WoL's magic packet only works on same subnets, and a lot of routers drop the packet as junk anyway.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I've always wondered how the wake on LAN feature worked. Which routers support this feature and how exactly is it done?

7. belvdr macrumors 603

It's even bigger than that. Since WoL packets are broadcast packets (just like DHCP for example), routers will not forward them by default.

8. alm6wra macrumors newbie