Remotely work on my PM G5 at work via MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JMCNYC, Aug 19, 2007.

1. JMCNYC macrumors newbie

I'd like to be able to take control of my G5 at work and run any application on if need be. Optimally, I know best to get files, work on MBP then send back to G5, but in case I dont have the software; ie CS3 or Quark. I may want to print to networked printers from my MBP to office printers. My G5 is connected to a hub off of the network with a PC Server....I seem to be able to get to the server screen, but not to my Mac just using the IP address for my Mac via built in ARD. Any suggestions?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

There are three different ways to get at that, one of which you're already trying; you can use a VNC client (basically Chicken of the VNC is the only decent one right now) with the built-in VNC server in ARD; you can use the same with a 3rd party VNC server (I like Share My Desktop), which gives you somewhat more control over settings; or you can buy a copy of ARD and use that.

I'm assuming you're currently using CotVNC with ARD; this has worked fine for me in practice, but has the major annoyance that I can't seem to get a proper connection at 256 colors without changing the bit depth of the host computer (which looks wretched). It also doesn't offer all the "speed enhancing" things that a full VNC server does.

ARD is way expensive, but I assume it works, but I'd probably just go with a VNC server since that's free.

Regardless, the things that can stop this from working are:

1) The IP address your G5 is getting isn't accessible from outside the local network. If the internal network is "isolated" from the outside world (say, IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x range), then the only way to get to it will be if you can get a VPN connection going. This would cause your laptop to appear as if it was on the local network, and let you connect via the IP address of the G5.

2) The firewall could be blocking the appropriate ports; either the G5's firewall (I don't think it automatically opens the ports for VNC even if you use the ARD server), or if there's a firewall on the whole network. That being the case, you'd need to open the relevant ports on the firewall to make it happen.

3) Make sure you're using the correct password and username to log into the G5--if you're using the ARD VNC server, it has its own password and login for VNC, NOT the username you're trying to log in as--you'll need that as well if it's not already logged in.

4) If the situation is #1 and you don't have an externally accessible IP address or VPN access, if it's a small network you may still be able to get one of the ports forwarded to your G5, which you can then configure on the G5 to be the port the VNC server is listening to. This will probably only be an option if it's a small network with a basic router.

Hopefully something in there points you in the right direction.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

To add to what Makosuke was saying:

I do exactly what you are asking about from work everyday. This is how I have my iBook and Mini setup. I access each of these computers from my work PC.

I have VNC, SSH, and FTP turned on in System Prefs>Sharing.
    I have static IP's for my Macs (i.e. 192.168.1.x).
    I have all ports forwarded for these protocols to direct to my Macs (VNC=5900, SSH=22, FTP=21).
    Using TightVNC for PC, or use ChickenVNC for Mac, I dial in my world IP (www.whatismyip.com) and depending on what port I access I get that computer at home.
    To get files I use FTP, to control certain things (like my Bittorrents) I use VNC. If needed I will go in SSH to control certain things, but not that often.

This all might sound like hairy stuff, but I can walk you through anything you don't know how to do. Overall its not very difficult but a little complicated.

4. JMCNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, im an idiot....

if im trying to log into my work computer from my MBP, where is Chicken of the VNC loaded on work, MBP or both? A little step by step please. How do I control ports?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

chicken of the VNC will be loaded on the client computer. on the host all you have to do is go to sharing and turn on remote log-in and ur laughing.

for web-based use i would HIGHLY recommend www.logmein.com, there is a free version that works perfectly.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Chicken VNC is a Mac viewing program only. For Windows you must have a VNC server program working (TightVNC is my recommendation).

Ok, to access your PC from your MBP.
    1) Get TightVNC (it includes the server program), turn it on and give it a password. This computer must stay awake to be accessed.
    2) Use Chicken VNC on your Mac to dial in your work IP and enter your password. Boom your on.

Getting your work IP may be tricky if you are on a network and don't have access to your router. If you have your own IP at work then you should be ok with what I described above. You might have to ask your IT at work to setup an open port to your computer otherwise, cause you have to have total control of the network to control ports.

Although if you are trying access files you should be using FTP.

7. JMCNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

Did I mention my work computer is a Mac G5(this would be client?) and I want to access it from home or anywhere with my MBP....

logmein.com still a solution?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

work computer: host
    home computer: client

logmein.com is a perfect solution in this case, it would be idea because i doubt IP addesses would be changing much at work.

there are many other solutions, but i personally believe logmein.com is the best