Removable battery shuts down randomly + bulging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JosephBergdoll, Dec 23, 2012.

1. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

On a late 08 15.4" Unibody with the removable battery. I'm on my second battery, about a year and a half old. While the health is at 80%, it shuts down randomly and I often get the "service battery" or "battery not charging" warnings. Brought it into the "Genius" Bar today and was told that my battery is at the end of its life and the random shutdowns are normal. This battery was purchased a year and a half ago to replace a bulging battery that would prevent use of the trackpad as well as bent the back case of my computer. I was told then that the bulging was "normal" as well. Getting kind of fed up with being sold junk batteries… any suggestions? Any good third party ones worth checking out? Any good way to come off as sad and depressed to guilt them into a new battery? Just wasn't what I was hoping for this Christmas…

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is not uncommon for batteries to swell near the end of their life. Batteries are consumable items and aren't expected to last forever. Apple clearly states as such in their warranty and AppleCare agreements, which only cover defective batteries, not ones that have been depleted through normal use.
    I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the links, though my battery is one that is removable and replacing it is not the problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The first link posted applies to all batteries, including removable batteries. The 3 that follow may benefit other readers of this thread who have built-in batteries.