Removal of copyrighted material

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by olemoley, May 17, 2012.

1. olemoley macrumors newbie

So I'm assuming that since the rom was removed from the other post that all roms and such like will also be taken down have the threads closed and be deleted. A part of any rom is likely to contain at least some copyrighted data. ATI or nVidia.

It's quite a can of worms that was opened up here, with regards ownership of IP and who can and cannot sell these on the open market.

I'd quite like a GTX 680 or any of the next gen cards running in my Mac but if it meant only being able to buy it from one company, I might think twice about it.

There's clearly a case for any of these sellers to have 'their' cards removed from eBay should anyone object or report them for copyright infringement.

2. goMac macrumors 603

It's a tricky question. If it contains property from NVidia, MacVidCards possibly could be in legal trouble himself for selling a product based on someone else's code he doesn't have a license for.

He's basically making the case that he's allowed to alter and redistribute someone else's code, but when someone else alters or redistributes his code, that's a problem.

3. olemoley thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree and that's an angle I hadn't considered, very good point.

4. Whargoul macrumors member

Its only a problem when its done for profit or in a manner that negatively affects income to the copyright holder.

5. MacVidCards Suspended

If you buy a GTX680, you WILL be buying it from ONE company, Nvidia. They make the GPU and don't give one flat darn who you buy it from as long as you buy it.

And if you buy a 7970, you will be getting it from ONE company, it will be AMD.

If the people focusing all of this negative nonsense and skulking around in dark rooms starting up new id's to post new attacks just spent that energy working on better EFIs for AMD cards there would be better AMD cards for Mac.

And AMD would not give one flat darn either. They would sell more cards.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member