Removal of designable.nib files in Leopard apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac2x, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mac2x macrumors 65816

So these files are totally useless to the end user, and I've read that they shouldn't have even been included in the Leopard apps.

I removed the whole mess of them today, and I've noticed ~700 MB freed up and many of the apps (Mail especially, which had nearly 200 MB of these nib files) are down very close to their sizes in SL. And they are snappier to launch. Well worth doing even if you don't really need disk space (I didn't; was just slimming things down a bit).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From apple
    I'd say that if they're part of the application package, I'd not want to delete them and if you're that hard pressed for space that you go into the contain files to delete the nib files, I'd recommend upgrading your HD.

3. bilals macrumors newbie

Seeing as it's been about three months since your post, have you had any issues with your OSX install since you deleted them? I'm thinking of doing the same (I don't do anything amazingly important on my Mac so I don't mind about having to reinstall) using the stunningly dodgy command from the root:

Code:
    sudo find . -type f -name "designables.nib" -exec rm -f {} \;
    Which scans the drive for that file and deletes it each time it finds it.

I'll probably do the language removal, too, just for kicks. Hope it all went well for you!

:edit:

I'm still reading into the pros/cons of doing this, so I haven't run the command yet!