removal of ibook in 10.9.3 mavericks (mac mini)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigmacca, Jun 28, 2014.

1. bigmacca macrumors newbie

Hi All

I would like step by step directions for myself a novice, on how to rid my mac mini of ibook forever! I HATE it!!

Any advice given is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Cheers!

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

How does Hate build up like that? It's just an app, that you can choose to completely ignore :D
    Anyway:

Step 1
    Right click on the iBooks icon in the dock, and click on Remove from Dock.

Step 2
    Drag iBooks (in your Applications folder) to the trash. You likely will be asked to authenticate, so provide your admin password at that time.

Step 3
    Empty the trash. (don't have Mavericks at the mom - so if you can't easily drag to the trash, then an alternate plan would be to make a new folder for "Junk I refuse to use", and drag the iBooks app to that folder - and that's the last step.

Step 4 (optional)
    Get on with your life. :D (May not be a necessary step, but still good.)

3. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

I don't know how to remove it but can't you just not use it? If you remove it from the doc it won't even be in the way

4. bigmacca thread starter macrumors newbie

IlikeMacsSoMuch I don't use it mate, but all my epubs are now converted into ibooks and I can no longer access them like I use to freely. Hence the reason why I want to delete it for good, and continue to use the superior adobe digital editions 2.0

5. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

You don't have to remove it in order for ePubs to open in a different app:

1.Navigate to an ePub
    2.Right click and go to "open with"
    3.From the drop down list DO NOT choose the Adobe app, instead go down to "other"
    4.You'll have a small Finder window show up. From there scroll to the Adobe app.
    5. BEFORE clicking "ok", check off the box that says "always open with"

From there each time you click on an ePub it should open with the app that you chose.

6. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

That's strange because I use Adobe as well as ibooks and I don't have any issue like what you are describing. How have they been converted? Did you import these epubs in iBooks? When I open a book for the first time I am asked what format I want to use, I don't need to nuke iBook. Can't you convert your books back? Or better do you still have the original files?

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I think NT1440 has the right idea.
    The ePubs are not actually changed or converted.
    But, the default app is changed (maybe the icon for those, too) - so double-clicking your ePub file opens the wrong app.

Following the simple step to change the default app back to the Adobe app will likely be all that is needed.

8. bigmacca thread starter macrumors newbie

NT1440 thanks for that!

Say you download a epub from a torrent site. You go to open it and it automatically chooses the ibook app. I now have to go through each individual epub file and change the application to adobe digital editions 2.0.

The steps NT1440 talked me through has worked. If there is a simpler way please inform me, anyone. Thanks!

9. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Simpler way: click on any typical ePub file.
    Command-I to get the info box on that file.
    From the Open With drop down, click on your desired Adobe app.
    Finally (and most importantly) click the Change All… button.

Notice that you only do that once for now, and it assures that all like documents use the same default app.

10. bigmacca thread starter macrumors newbie

deltamac

HI Deltamac

I have a windows keyboard, how can I do this move without the command key that you have stated?

It was a no brainer for me in the shop, $25 for a windows keyboard, or close to $100 for a mac one. I obviously chose the cheaper option.

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

The "windows key" would be the equivalent on that keyboard:

http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/windowskeyboard.htm

12. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Well, yes, Windows keyboards can be cheaper, and clearly usable on a Mac, too.
    But, I'm not sure where you get the "close to $100 for a mac one."
    USB is $49.95 (wireless is $69.95 - still not exactly close to $100)
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-english-usa?fnode=56

If you decide to move between a Mac and a Windows keyboard, you can adjust where the modifier keys (such as Command) are located in the Keyboard pref pane/Modifier Keys... in System Preferences.