Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Very unintelligent move.

What would be super intelligent was to make an awesome bluetooth with blu-ray super drive.

CDs for ever. As a recording artist, many labels and radios (on or off line) still requires a polished / beautifully presented CD album on top of a beautiful site but more importantly the beautifully produced CD album. So don't tell me no one is using CDs or that CDs will somehow become an extinct technology, it is here to stay mofos! I still have a pristine Sony stereo with cd, phono and cassette decks biatchez! I'm not rocking old school, I'm rocking period.

Don't ever diss nor have a hate on CDs and optical drives as if you were just born yesterday ya hear?!

Peace and lollypops!
*Runs out into the crisp winter air of the Rockies*

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Whether you like it or not, the vast majority of Mac users hardly ever use optical media these days. Apple wouldn't been so keen drop the drives if this weren't the case.

Personally, I bought the USB SuperDrive for my MacBook Pro, but I've honestly used it far less than I thought I would. At least Apple's still giving us this option!

Maczor

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
LU, Switzerland
Buy the USB driver and the problem is solved. I have also ordered one... not that I see myself using it often, but sometimes I do buy games (boxed) or software (boxed) and those still have the install kit on one or more DVDs.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
"I really need an optical drive, so Apple should put optical drives in every Mac whether other people need them or not."

- Posted weekly by Macrumors forum members

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Very unintelligent move.

What would be super intelligent was to make an awesome bluetooth with blu-ray super drive.

CDs for ever. As a recording artist, many labels and radios (on or off line) still requires a polished / beautifully presented CD album on top of a beautiful site but more importantly the beautifully produced CD album. So don't tell me no one is using CDs or that CDs will somehow become an extinct technology, it is here to stay mofos! I still have a pristine Sony stereo with cd, phono and cassette decks biatchez! I'm not rocking old school, I'm rocking period.

Don't ever diss nor have a hate on CDs and optical drives as if you were just born yesterday ya hear?!

Peace and lollypops!
*Runs out into the crisp winter air of the Rockies*

Ok... born in the 90's? CDs will go the way of laser discs and VCDs. iTunes and the iPod generation pretty much made sure of that. With B&M music stores disappearing left and right you wont even have a place to buy music CDs soon. The prevalence of broadband internet, cheap storage options, and better media has mostly assured the end of CDs. DVDs and blu-rays will last longer, but don't act like digital disks will have the same appeal as vinyl records down the road.

Like others have said, because you might need one doesn't mean 90% of the intended market for the product will. Also there are still models with the optical drive, but if you want Apple to continue to go smaller and smaller something is going to have to go. But thanks for your post.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Or of course that if you want blu-ray... Personally, I have a media box that can play blu-ray, so I don't need another blu-ray drive. If I want to watch blu-ray, I watch it on my HDTV directly...

OP mentioned wanting blu-ray. Of course you can buy a 3rd-party drive for half the cost of the Superdrive.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
"I really need an optical drive, so Apple should put optical drives in every Mac whether other people need them or not."

It could be seen the other way as well, less limit functionally by removing the optical drive because some people do not use it. At least when it is there you can use it or not, no loss and only gain for those who use it. Removing something tends to be worse then leaving or adding something useful.

External optical drives, no, for for a costly laptop or desktop, ruins the entire point for some.

I find the attitude that everything that some do not use should be removed far more tiring then people waiting their systems to be functional.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
It could be seen the other way as well, less limit functionally by removing the optical drive because some people do not use it. At least when it is there you can use it or not, no loss and only gain for those who use it. Removing something tends to be worse then leaving or adding something useful.

External optical drives, no, for for a costly laptop or desktop, ruins the entire point for some.

I find the attitude that everything that some do not use should be removed far more tiring then people waiting their systems to be functional.

If I do not use the optical drive, it takes up space and weight that could be used to make lighter and thinner or more powerful device in the same size.

Of course, Apple could always give you the choice, which they do, at least for now.

You also will always have the choice of buying a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive yourself and keeping it on your desk or tossing it in your back if you have use for one.

Occasionally I still have to try to read programs that were written on floppy drives, it's an important part of my work. I do not moan and complain that manufacturers no longer include floppy drives in all of their laptops. I just keep a cheap external one in my laptop bag.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007

My son was born ten years ago and he just couldn't work out what a CD was for at all, or why he would need one... how old school do you want?...

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012

Oh good, so you can afford to buy an external drive and quit your crying. :rolleyes:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
If I do not use the optical drive, it takes up space and weight that could be used to make lighter and thinner or more powerful device in the same size.

People have gotten really picky about these things of late, somehow five pounds is insanely heavy these days, choice is always good, and thinking of it from the standpoint of finding it useless I would want that option to have or not have it.

Of course, Apple could always give you the choice, which they do, at least for now.

The current issue is people want a choice with the retina display, one with optical drive and one without, that would be true choice.

You also will always have the choice of buying a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive yourself and keeping it on your desk or tossing it in your back if you have use for one.

When it comes to laptops and desktops everything better be inside, no extras unless you are talking about some cheap netbook. Yet I am fine with the Macbook Air not having a drive, no ultrabooks can, now that defeats its purpose.

Occasionally I still have to try to read programs that were written on floppy drives, it's an important part of my work. I do not moan and complain that manufacturers no longer include floppy drives in all of their laptops. I just keep a cheap external one in my laptop bag.

That is a bit different, optical media is still current, it is not the past or obsolete like Apple likes to tell people. (Go to iTunes!) I personally had to use a floppy drive until about 2008, hated the things, old camera.

Even thought the numbers are smaller I imagine there would be more people not buying it because it lacks a drive (prefer blu-ray) then those who would say, oh, it has an optical drive, pass. As I stated I imagine these numbers are smaller yet I would think more around avoid it for lack of a drive then those who would because it has one.

Last edited:

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
CDs while better than mp3s aren't near studio quality, with bandwidth and cheap storage nowadays we could easily be downloading 192kHz/24-bit audio if the industry embraced it.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The current issue is people want a choice with the retina display, one with optical drive and one without, that would be true choice.

You assume that they could have built a 13" Retina MBP with an optical drive. Even supposing that they had kept it the same thickness as the 13" non-retina MBP, I'm not sure that would be possible. The 13" Retina dedicates more space to the cooling system and to the battery, both presumably because of the extra load created by the retina display.

ULSBVxavYsRYXtpN.medium

Which component would you have them remove?

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I'm glad they got rid of it. It's a dying form of media and it gives more room to improve the internal layout, thus a more efficient and reliable machine.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
You assume that they could have built a 13" Retina MBP with an optical drive. Even supposing that they had kept it the same thickness as the 13" non-retina MBP, I'm not sure that would be possible. The 13" Retina dedicates more space to the cooling system and to the battery, both presumably because of the extra load created by the retina display.

Which component would you have them remove?

It would likely work best in the larger Macbook, some still think the 17" should be around. I think the only reason I truly care is I use my laptops for everything. When it comes to software I am fine with digital overall.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Oh good, so you can afford to buy an external drive and quit your crying. :rolleyes:

Can't you read. I have a 17" MacBook Pro listed in my signature line. I don't have to buy an external just because :apple: wants me to.

----------

What is worse than that statement you made is, are those who make false accusations and those who feel threatened by some constructive criticism; so stop taking things so personal - you too do not represent everyone.

MrKing

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
Amsterdam
Bought a optical drive case for 10 bucks off eBay. Fitted the superdrive in there.

SSD + HDD combo + a optical drive via usb. Aww yeah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.