Remove a 'burr' on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tomb01, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

So I was on a plane a couple of weeks ago and put my MBP under the seat in front of me for a bit while I went to the restroom. There must have been an exposed strut or something, because I now have a small spot on the lower edge of my system that obviously was rubbed against metal, and has a small 'burr'. What would be a good tool to remove that and smooth up that spot again (I have files, just don't really think a 'file' is the right tool)? I am in a city with an Apple store this week, so may just make a Genius bar appointment and get their recommendation, but.....

Suggestions?

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

first off, kudos to you for using a 17" computer on an airplane... I didn't know it was possible ;)

I think, but don't try this until someone else confirms it, that some very very very very fine sandpaper, and very gently sanding it, might do the trick.

3. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I doubt you'll ever manage to get the exact finish unless you apply the same treatment to the whole piece. I wonder if you could pull the lid off and acid etch / sand blast the whole thing? Would certainly give you a unique looking machine!

4. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I'd use p2000/p2500 graded sandpaper, very carefully in a circular motion. Take your time though, no need to press hard.

I used my 17" powerbook on plenty of flights, but I'm 6'6" so I have to have to sit next to the exits or at the front where the flip-down seats for stewardess' are.
    I was watching a film on it once and the battery ran out of juice, the person next to me gave me a knowing 'that sucks' look, i pull my bag out from under the seat, put my 17" away and pull out my 12" powerbook, loaded with the same films, turn it on and carry on watching from where I left off. I got an even funnier look then!:D