Remove admin account on second hand mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spike87, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Spike87 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just bought a second hand mac mini only to find that there was still a password protected admin account on the OS. I've tried re-installing snow leopard (by holding 'c' at start up) but it has not removed the account. I am unable to change any settings on the mac at present because I require the admin password :(

Does anyone know how to remove the admin account and take the mac back to factory settings?

Thanks ;)

P.S. I have tried to make contact with the seller, but am still awaiting reply.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can remove its password using the Snow Leopard Install DvD. Check under the Utilities menu.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Boot from the disk, go into disk utility, then reformat the drive, reinstall OS X, and it will be like a new computer

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

When reinstalling snow leopard you have to chose erase and install instead of archive and install and that will return the computer back to factory fresh status.

Easiest way to do this is run Disk Utility from the Snow Leopard disk and erase the Hard Drive assuming you have nothing important on there.

Then go ahead and install Snow Leopard again and you'll be good to go.

5. Spike87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies.

Unless I'm missing something though, I am unable to access the Utilities menu to erase the disk without the password I don't have! Also, as a bit of a noob, how do I go about booting from the disk? And do I need the admin password for that?

Thanks ;)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You hold "c" while starting the computer with the Snow Leopard disk in the drive. No password is needed for that.

7. Spike87 thread starter macrumors newbie