Remove all jailbreak- related stuff before restoring?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by L4Leonard, Nov 25, 2011.

1. L4Leonard macrumors regular

L4Leonard

Is this somehow possible? Im planning on restoring from a back up, and i dont want any traces left in the back up.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

This i already know, but ive heard that some jb- files stays on the back- up.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes they do.

No there is not a clean way to remove everything if you want to restore from backup.

The only clean way is to restore and set the phone as new, that will be a JB file free, but you can't restore from backup.

For the records, 99 out of 100 those files that persist won't bother you, you won't even know that they are there.

5. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

But if u uninstall all cydia packages before back- up, the amount of files will greatly decrease, right? Is there someone here who knows if i can use for ex. iExplorer or iFile to delete all those files before back- up? If so, which ones?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

YEs... but some files will remind, also YES you can use iExplorer, but this have been discussed before and nobody really have a full list of everything that need to be remove, besides some file need to be only modify and no remove so doing manually is NOT RECOMMENDED, (I'll say it again, it is NOT RECOMMENDED).

7. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

I want to fully "virginytize" my iPhone, but which out of the following options should i use:

Just use the "restore" inside of iTunes (on the iPhone tab)

Enter recovery mode (press and hold home while connecting to iTunes)

Or should i go thru settings>general>restore>erase all contents and settings?

So, which out of these three options will be the most complete reset?

8. labman, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

AS I said restoring the device as new then restore your Contacts Photo's etc separately is the best way to go. if you restore you back up somethings have a habit of coming back such as makeitmine. if you restore the device as new it will be about 99.9%. Sadly everybody knows once you lose your virginity there is no 100% way to get it back.. but this will be very very close..

and never should i go thru settings>general>restore>erase all contents and settings? on a jb device! look at the link I provided. in post number #2

9. simple20 macrumors regular

How do you restores as new and then sync your contacts and pics? I thought that setting totally erased everything?

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You contacts and pics are on your computer (or iCould, or Google, or Dropbox, etc). iTunes will sync them back if you tell it to. It is not a "restore" it is a "sync"

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can also install your contacts, calendar and photo's and apps right from itunes.. info/sync Apply = photo's, sync apply!