Remove back to change HDD/SSD or ram, warranty voided? wtf?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spazma7ik, Jun 21, 2010.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I am really looking into buying a new 17" mbp, so I went to apple to check it out and when talking to an employee I asked about putting my own ssd in and he said if the back is removed, warranty is shot. Is this true? If so that's utter bs.

2. Lokrado macrumors regular

that is utter bs
    you are covered under your warranty to change both RAM and HDD

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can't point to the exact page in the manual for the 2010 unibody machines, but...

Read the manual, it should tell you exactly what is a user replaceable part. ;)

Always best NOT to sell the user replaceable parts, due to the fact that you may need them for diagnostic purposes later (memory) and/or a backup if the new drive fails.

---

You can replace memory and the HDD, but any repair or replacement of these 3rd party items is up to you.

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

last time i sent my mbp in for tech support, tech support had to call me about something so i went ahead and asked them. The tech support guy said that, it was fine to replace both the ram and the hdd, but whenever you send your mac in for support, you should send it in with the factory hd and the factory ram. I've sent it in once before with my own hd, they ended up replacing it with an apple drive, and blamed the problems on a non apple drive. but they didn't void my warrenty

5. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, that's what I thought I read online, though he did say this is a new policy, so possibly it is true?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Please read the User manual :p

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#portablecomputers

Even on the MacBook Pro 15 (2010) it says ...

If they weren't user upgradeable and voided the warranty.

Why the hell do they tell you how to do it?

Edit:

Even the MacBook Pro 17 (2010) has similar instructions, so you can tell the Mac Genius he is a big fat bozo that can't read a manual.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix