remove battery from laptop if always plugged in?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Mar 16, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all. I am selling most of my computer stuff and going to rely on an iBook G4 until I can afford to get something more recent. Since the iBook will be my main computer, would it be advisable to remove the battery if it will always be plugged into the wall?

2. g4manimac, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

g4manimac macrumors 6502

NO NO NO Awhile back my Ibook would hold no charge and if the cord even got wiggled it would totally shut off which can cause damage which I was reminded of every time I started it back up,I was so happy to get a battery.But I would keep a battery in it no matter what because you never know what could happen with your homes power supply.I guess I'm stumped on this question do you have any reason behind it (perhaps saving battery)?

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

It's mostly to save the battery from accruing too many cycles. I guess it's not a huge deal since it is already old(I think it's the original battery), but I didn't consider keeping the battery in there in case the cord came out. I guess I'll leave the battery in there.

4. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

The battery shouldn't cycle through while relying on power from the AC adapter.