Remove cydia apps but keep jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by midnightdoom, Mar 26, 2010.

1. midnightdoom macrumors newbie

Ok what I almost did was restore my iPhone but then relized it would go to 3.1.3 so I stopped.

I want to start my jailbreak over. I have downloaded so much apps and supporting apps that I don't want on here. Alot of the support apps though I have no clue what they are for.

If I manually delete all apps through cydia or rock and then go back and install the ones I want to keep, this will be safe and effective way off ridding all jailbreak info from my phone and starting fresh, correct?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You didn't give much info (like what phone or current firmware)
    You can use Cydia to delete any Cydia apps you want off your phone. Cydia will also remove the associated support programs also. If you start deleting the required support programs, some Cydia apps will not work. Cydia will give you a list when you go to delete of the dependant apps.

It may be possible to re-JB and restore your phone to clean up all the apps, but we need more info.

3. midnightdoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it is a 3gs. I got it first day they came out. It's got 3.1.2 and I used blackrain to jailbreak. What other info u need. I pretty much just wanna start jail break over and just put a few of the apps I use everyday. Reason being that something is causing my phone to crash and go to safe mode alot recently.

So ur saying I shouldn't delete all files manually as some cydia may need to operate?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have the option to restore your 3GS to a clean custom restore version of firmware 3.1.2 if you would rather do that. If you can your phone into recovery mode you just use iTunes to browse to a custom restore 3.1.2 IPSW and you will end up with a clean restored newly jailbroken 3GS.

5. midnightdoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I like that idea but when I try to restore with iTunes is only gives me option to "restore and update" to 3.1.3

how do I get around the to keep 3.1.2

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have to use Pwnage Tool to make a custom restore 3.1.2 IPSW (Mac only)
    If on PC, you can look for one on the Internet

Put phone into recovery mode, start iTunes, if Mac hit option + restore and browse to 3.1.2 IPSW you made. If PC, use shift + restore.

7. midnightdoom thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have iMac to clarify. Thanks for the help I'll give that a try. Will doing it this be same concept as a normal restore. All apps and data have to be reapplied or will the jailbreak be left untouched

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

First use pwnage tool to create the custom 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 ipsw. Since you are already jailbroken, you can (as stated above) use Option Restore to browse your mac to your custom ipsw.

You will be jailbroken, and starting clean again.You should back up first to itunes, and if you'd like you can restore to that backup after the jailbreak is complete or restore as new. New is the cleanest, and you can always resync your music, calendars, contacts, etc assuming you keep that info in itunes.

You might also consider using PkgBackup (Cydia) to back up all your apps (or just those that you want to reinstall after you jailbreak) It will save you some time.

I just upgraded from custom 3.1.2 to custom 3.1.3 because I was having some performance problems. Iphone is running much smoother since the restore.

Good luck!

9. midnightdoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I did a little more looking around about pwnage tool and I am not sure if I want to try it, thought I would see what somebody thinks about how to do this. I have more info on my phone

originally got my 3gs the first weekend it came out I now have the following installed
    FW: 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Carrier: Rogers 5.0
    Modern FW: 05.11.07
    Model(in info): MC 144C
    Model(back of phone): A1303

jailbroken using blackrain. Is their any other needed info?

Pwnage tool says not to to it with both blackrain and 05.11.07
    what do I do.

Main reason I want to do this is my friend some how always manages to get it into safemode and my battery has been draining real quick lately