Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not keep them, its not like they're consuming huge amounts of space.

Since the article you linked details how to do it, then they assume its safe. I think it might cause problems down the road however

vonbolve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Why not keep them, its not like they're consuming huge amounts of space.

Since the article you linked details how to do it, then they assume its safe. I think it might cause problems down the road however

Haha, yeah i guessed someone would tell me that.

But I like to "clean" up around me, (obsessive behavior) .. But it's alot of unnecessary apps in my "apps (F4) folder" ..

No other reason actually.
Is it possible to just remove the icon then?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No because the applications folder is an actual directory on the drive and what you see is container files being displayed.

Just follow the directions you linked too, I can't guarantee you'll be problem free down the road, or that you might want/need them but its your computer and your decision.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Even if you remove them, software update will sometimes put them back. Also software update can get confused if it doesn't find an expected app. Worse yet, there can be cross-dependency between apps..you remove App A, then find out that App B sub-called App A and now App B will no longer work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.