remove downloaded apps from itunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TroyBoy30, Aug 17, 2010.

1. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

quick question to an issue I can't seem to figure out. How can you actually delete apps you have downloaded from itunes? I have a ton of apps I chose not to install on my 4 since I never used them. I couldn't figure out how to totally remove them from itunes, so I simply de selected them. How can I delete them so I can re-enable sync all?

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Did you try selecting the app in iTunes and hitting the delete key?

3. bobab8ey macrumors member

Is it just me, or is this like the most obvious thing in the world to try first? Why is this thread even necessary?

4. Razeus macrumors 601

:confused:

1) Just go to the Apps section of your Library (you have a Music, Movies, Podcast, Apps, etc library in upper left hand pane).

2) Select the app(s) you don't want and delete them.

5. TroyBoy30 thread starter macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

yes I tried deleting with the delete key as well as right clicking and trying to delete. neither worked! You honestly think I would ask on a forum before trying everything?

6. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Well that's the only way I know of doing it. Never had a problem.

7. TroyBoy30 thread starter macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

tried what you said...again and no the delete key does not work on a pc. neither does right clicking to delete. anyone have an answer?

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I know it's not totally related to your query but what annoys me is if you delete the app from iTunes the next time you sync your iPhone it transfers the app back over, so to delete an app properly what I do is delete from the iPhone and from iTunes.

9. Menzo macrumors member

LIBRARY -> Apps -> Right-Click -> Delete

Seriously

10. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Indeed.
    My bet is that the OP is trying to delete the app from the Apps tab in Devices instead of Library.

11. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Everyone here is so clever and smug that they didn’t need help when they first learned a new system?????Come on guys! This is not how the Mac community works.Don't do that to a fellow Mac user. Remember we’re here to help, not chastise the person for the lack of Mac basics. Help lead them into the right place so they can learn. They don’t need to learn on how much of a jerk you are.

Here you go OP. I hope you help the next person in line……..
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_delete_iphone_application_app_itunes.html

12. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Works on my PC, it's the only way I have ever deleted apps. The only other way I know to do it is to selecting the app icon and while it is highlighted use Edit>Delete from the iTunes menu.

13. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

lol.
    You FAILed to read that the OP is using a PC.

14. Menzo macrumors member

Probably doesn't even use a Mac to begin with lol

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have had this issue aswell (iTunes on a windows PC is not the best combo), the best way to sort this I have found is if you right click on an app then click show in explorer delete the ipa then delete the app again in itunes

16. TroyBoy30 thread starter macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

yea i had a ton of apps i chose not to sync when i got my 4. I simply didn't use them and needed the space. I deleted from the phone and then unselected sync all in itunes and manaully checked what apps I wanted to sync!

you're right. i have been trying to delete them in the apps tabs listed when the phone is selected. thanks

17. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

YAY! Success at last. :)