Remove duplicate app icons from Launchpad

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Keukasmallie, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

I downloaded four apps from Garmin to use with my Garmin nuvi 260W. I have the apps in a folder (Garmin) that appears in Applications. However, in Launchpad, two icons appear for each of the four apps. I've tried to delete the "extras" to no avail.

Suggestions, recommendations...?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

Bob

2. NorthDakota91, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

NorthDakota91 macrumors member

By default Lion almost offer no tools to control what's happening in Launchpad. I do use and recommend a 3rd party tool called Launchpad Control. It's a prefpane and it works great (for me, at least). And it's also free.

With it you can sort your apps (even alphabetically), remove duplicates, etc. Hope this helps

3. memax, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

memax macrumors newbie

Rebuild launchpad to remove duplicate icons

I talked to an Apple tech and they guided me through the following steps which rebuilt my launchpad icons without the duplicates.

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click "Go".
    3. With "Option" key held down on keyboard, Select the "Library" option (it magically appears when the option key is pressed). - Be careful in here since it is normally hidden so you can't mess your system up.
    4. Double click "Application Support".
    5. Double click "Dock"
    6. Drag the file(s) to trash. I only had one:
    "78A8EE46-5EBA-4324-9200-F169D5927296.db" but was told to trash whatever was there
    - You'll probably lose whatever cleaning/rearranging you have done earlier on Launchpad but in my case I wasn't worried about that. (You can save this file(s) first if you are worried. Can always stick back if necessary)

7. Reboot. The system will automatically re-create the file with the appropriate icons - and no duplicates!! (assuming you don't have true duplicate copies of the application installed)

4. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

This didn't work for me. I bought a new MacBook Pro and migrated my applications from my previous MacBook Pro. I only have one incident of the application, but two icons in launchpad. I've deleted the db files in Library/Application Support/Dock, but when the computer is rebooted, duplicates come back.