Remove ethernet & miniDisplay port and insert HDMI port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akutad, Aug 11, 2009.

1. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

How many of you would like to see a HDMI Port? Why the miniDisplay port? Why not remove ethernet jack and miniDisplay port and replace it with a HDMI port. That way one HDMI cable feeds digital video AND audio. Am I the only one thinking of this?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you can solder onto the board and cut a hole in the case and you're fine with potentially spotty output performance, go ahead.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I think Mini DisplayPort works great, although I wish Apple would implement it to handle video AND audio. Simply then provide the adapter for MDP to HDMI, and you're done.

4. pnyc macrumors 6502

I don't think they should remove anything. Definitely not the ethernet port.

5. akutad thread starter macrumors regular

akutad

Why not? I never use it. If I ever did need it then get a USB to ethernet adapter.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

DisplayPort > HDMI. Apple's use of MDP is very slowly pushing DisplayPort into the mainstream, see Monoprice's newly added DisplayPort section for evidence. Before they just had a few adapters. Now, they have cables for both mini and regular connectors, as well as actual adapter cables instead of just little breakout things.

And you can have my ethernet port over my dead body! :mad: USB > Ethernet adapters have maybe 1/3rd the bandwidth of an actual gigabit run. 802.11n is even worse. Hell no.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The only thing the display port is missing is audio throughput for hdmi if this was implimented people would stop bitching.

The display port offers people true flexibility using hdmi and or dvi on it's own limits people.

Why anyone would want to ditch Ethernet is beyond me you can't beat it really.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

USB to ethernet adapters never tend to be as fast as a true ethernet port.

Mini-Displayport also has some things over HDMI: it's smaller and it allows higher resolutions. I really wouldn't even bother with the Macbook Pros if I couldn't connect it to my 30" 2560x1600 display.

The only thing they should do is make Displayport carry audio so it could be used just like a HDMI port.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Simply because you don't use the ethernet port doesn't mean that others don't use theirs.
    I use my ethernet port for my Drobo. If you read the reviews for the USB Drobo, it's much slower than the ethernet version.

10. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Just because you never use it doesn't mean that a lot of us don't either. Ethernet is the foundation of a good network, and very very useful on occasion, I wouldn't want to replace the wonderful dependability with the inconsistency of USB. We all hate that the mini display doesn't support audio but eventually it might.

11. MBP09 macrumors member

^ what he and everyone said.... Ethernet comes in handy when it comes to unreliable wireless connection.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

While you're on that train of thought, you should petition for the removal of Firewire as well. Case of half-step forward and several steps back.

13. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Unless I could complete my gigabit LAN over that HDMI port, I'll keep my Ethernet ;)

Seriously though, ethernet is one of those ports that one really shouldn't remove from anything bearing the name "BlahBlah Pro" because it's just so darn useful. Besides, you can already get HDMI (albeit sans audio) with the MiniDP today.

14. CTechKid macrumors regular

Ethernet is infinitely more important/useful than HDMI. Gigabit ethernet, iSCSI, etc. have terrific uses for fast data transfers with current tech.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Like others have said Mini-Display port is way more useful then HDMI. Reason? Mini-Display port is resolution independent. Meaning that whatever new display technology comes out you can use it with mini display port. All you would need is the appropriate adapter. You can use any monitor on the market.

I'm still not sure why everyone cares about the MDP carrying sound since your macbook has speakers...but whatever. Maybe everyone is referencing monitors that have speakers built in.

As for ethernet it would be disaster to remove this. Many work networks are ethernet only. Not to mention ethernet is much faster then wifi. Wifi is convenient but if you are transferring several TB over a network ethernet is your best friend real fast.

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

agreed with the ethernet comments. But, the reason that people want sound over hdmi is so that they can hook it up to their televisions at home. You can't really expect people to hook up their mac to a tv and use the ****** little mac speakers lol. It is still possible to hook up the sound, it's just an extra cable that doesn't actually need to exist because DP is capable of audio output.

17. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

A mac without an ethernet port, for most of us that have to connect to a database server and export large files on our clients is a shinny useless piece of crap.

We should also remove the screen... I don't use it. I use an external monitor.

18. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Too slow. Gigabit would be ****** over USB.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Forgot to say that usb2.0 isn't able to throughput gigabit like a true network port.

Reason being even through there is several USB ports there offen on a shared bus so each device shares the total theoretical speed of that bus. Even with nothing else plugged in if the CPU is doing intensive number crunching the speed again will be effected due to USB being CPU dependant.

Go into any computer store pick up any brand of USB to gigabit adapter or 10/100 and they all state the same, "throughput it theoretical. Speeds cannot be guaranteed due to nature of the USB bus"

this is one of the main reasons I want audio through the mini display port. The soon to be released hdmi dongle with audio uses a USB soundcard so uses addition CPU cycles. Why reprocess audio through USB when it's already been processed by the internal soundcard. Apple need to pull there thumb outta there arses and look at what gfx card/pc manufactures cottened onto over two years ago!

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, you're the only one thinking of this because its a bad idea. Many of use use the ethernet poort because its much much faster then wireless and wifi access isn't universal.

Secondly displayport from what I've read displayport is more flexible and provides higher resolutions then HDMI. I'm no expert on HDMI, but I have little desire to hook up my laptop to a TV, I'd rather hook it up to a monitor which is by the way either DVI or displayport

21. drewster macrumors member

New HDMI 1.4 Spec allows for 100mbit ethernet over HDMI -- so might be possible. 1.5 spec = GIGABIT????

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's nice. Some of us do use our ethernet ports and would prefer Apple keep them.

23. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

It only allows 1920x1080 resolution at a given refresh rate and you'll have to either carry a cable or an adapter.