Remove Exchange Password requirement on 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPhoneRucks, Aug 5, 2010.

1. iPhoneRucks macrumors newbie

I need to change the Passcode restrictions on iOS 4.0. In earlier versions you could chnage the "MinLength" to '0' by editing "["/var/Managed Preferences/mobile/com.apple.springboard.plist"].

But this is not possible in firmware 4.0. Does anyoe know how to hack this problem?

2. badgerman macrumors 6502a

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Those password rules are set by your sysadmin. If this is an business email account, you need to make sure you won't be violating company policy by bypassing this security measure. That sort of thing can get people fired.

4. thep33t macrumors regular

If one of my users did this, at a minimum their email would no longer work. Very likely that would be preceded/postceded (cool word, huh?) by a lack of employment.

So use at your own risk.

Better to talk to your IT department.

5. coasterswim macrumors 6502

6. brdwygurl macrumors regular

Can they tell if you use kill exchange? On my personal phone, not a company phone.

7. coasterswim macrumors 6502

They who? It doesn't look like it does anything with the network; it only edits a file on your phone on a daily basis.

8. brdwygurl macrumors regular

They being my employer. Several posts mentioned it could get you fired. I am not sure how the program works, so I wondered if it is detectable.

9. brokin macrumors member

gonna test this out on exchange 2010 server. i work in IT so ill let you know if i can detect it.

10. thep33t macrumors regular

I tried it on my device to see if it could be detected. Running Exchange 2010, I saw no indication of any way to detect it, of course, I didn't look too hard.

Use at your own risk.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah you got to be real careful about this stuff, most companies have written agrement that if you read/use work email or VPNs into corporate networks on your personal machine/phone you need to comply with all the security policies.

The reason you are getting that is because your System admin have setup an exchange policy that all devices reading the server need to be passcode protected. If you work around this rules you are violation your employer agreement. Just something to keep in mind, most companies don't care much about it

12. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Any company that doesn't care about password-protecting an employee's personal, mobile device, that would potentially be receiving legal, classified documents, trade secrets, etc., is quite foolish.

13. navigates macrumors 6502a

The Op is asking for advise. If you have the right info, please help, if you don't, then please reserve your comments on legality. This is not piracy, just a personal preference.

btw the killexchangelock app didn't work for me at least. Any success so far? I was not able to remove the lock

14. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Did you actually read the comments above? How did you even get to piracy? The above posts, 1> gave a solution and 2) gave advice with the explicit goal of keeping the OP from getting in trouble.

15. bripab007 macrumors 6502

This has nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with legality, ethics, common sense and things-that-will-get-you-reprimanded-or-fired-at-most-jobs.

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

For the records everyone gave him "advices" as he requested it (Moderator seen to have edited the response) , including the possibilities of legalities, it's an advice to consider all angles

17. TJone macrumors 6502a

Would this help me set up access to Exchange 2003 work email - it seems like the server is not set up for activesync or mobile mail and only allows BB access. I tried entering all the credentials in the Exchange mail set up but it does not work but I can access mail through OWA. I wonder if this Cydia app would help - maybe not...

18. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I'm an IT Admin, and even jailbreaking a company iPhone is a red flag where I work. I realize it's acceptable, legally speaking, but it opens the phone up to the possibility of accidentally installing malicious programs or doing other illegal things (ie. pirating software). Neither of which a reputable company wants to be involved with.

Just my two cents.

19. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Nope. An Exchange environment needs to be set and configured for ActiveSync in order for it to work. Further, your company needs to have a portion of their Exchange environment accessible from the DMZ/WWW. Further still, you need to figure out what sort of scheme you want to do with your server certificates (self-signed, purchased from a known SSL vendor, accept all user certs, accept only those specifically assigned to a user's device, how to deploy those certs, etc.).

Sounds like your company has already chosen to go with Blackberries/BES, so they're not going to put in the hours/money into setting up ActiveSync unless there's a business reason to do so, or unless management, or someone high enough up the chain, whines loudly enough.