remove external sound for MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ajack, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ajack macrumors member

An idea just came through my mind today: why don't designer just remove external sound? It came with 2 main reasons:

1. Lighter
    2. Less power consumption

Yeah, anyone could find that it's so hard to find the difference between non-external sound and external sound in weight or power consumption. But, just for the sake of argument, who needs to play outloud songs in portable and smallest laptop just like MBA?

For me, I haven't use external audio from many years cause I got good headphone (Sennheiser HD555) and Sennheiser earphone as well. Moreover, for me, it would be nice and gentle to keep quiet in public place. And, what's is main the purpose of MBA: using laptop in public place (library, coffee shop, blah blah...), right?

And last but not least, when I'm at my home, I just use my home theatre to play music...

2. simsaladimbamba

But not everyone works like you.
    Sometimes you have audio or video and want to show it to someone else, maybe even a group of people, and then built in speakers come in handy.

3. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I like the idea but how much space do they really take? I'm guessing not that much. It's probably a too big of a deal for people when they're buying a laptop and there's no speakers.
    Maybe a different placement?

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yeah I think you would be in the minority of people who have "never used" their speakers. While I don't use them very often; when I am sent a funny video or someone posts a video on facebook that I want to show my wife, it's easier just to turn up the sound rather than make her get out a pair of headphones.

Do you really not have any interaction with people when out and about?

Besides, how much weight do you think the speakers in an MBA really have? I would guess it's negligible.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Supporting external sound doesn't add weight or power consumption to any degree that's noticeable by any user. It won't make any difference.