Remove Files from Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by insan56, Feb 13, 2008.

1. insan56 macrumors member

I have a few movies that have been backed up on my Time Machine hard drive but now i have noticed that im starting to run out of space! so i decided i would delete them and Time machine says they are protected! so how do i go about deleting them?

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Are you clicking the little gear icon in Time Machine, selecting the movies and choosing "Delete all backups of..." and then getting an error message that the files are protected??

I have yet to encounter a file I couldn't remove from Time Machine in that manner.

3. insan56 thread starter macrumors member

great thank you! i never even bothered to click the gear thing

4. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

When Time Machine brings up its Finder window it is just to the left of the search bar (with the magnifying glass). Make sure to select the file you want to delete before clicking the gear icon and then you will see "Delete all backups of..." as a choice.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

No problem, I also didn't realize this existed for the longest time and was just trying to click cmd-del on the files to no avail and had almost resigned myself to the idea that it was impossible to remove files from Time Machine. :eek: