Remove FileVault before installing Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by KKramer, Jul 20, 2011.

1. KKramer macrumors member

KKramer

Do I need to disable/remove FileVault before installing Lion? Or It will convert my home directory automatically?

2. drewcosten macrumors member

drewcosten

I've been wondering the same. My wife and I both have FileVault enabled on our home folders on our MacBook Air.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I would remove it first. It might prompt you to do so. When I tested I did not have it enabled first.

4. Sirolway macrumors 6502

You might want to apply whole-disk FileVault 2 after the install, so makes sense to remove FileVault 1 first anyway...

Better safe than sorry ...

Sounds like FileVault 2 can encrypt a live disk in the background, which will remove the pain of applying it ...

FileVault 1 required as much free disk as you were encrypting, so if FV2 is the same (I suspect it isn't) then that might be a gotcha to watch out for; if you are low on free disk space, you may not be able to turn FV1 off / FV2 on (if FV2 has the same free disk requirements)

5. drewcosten macrumors member

drewcosten

I decided it's better safe than sorry so I turned it off (after trying to find 7 GB of files to clear up space).

Now to try installing Lion. :)

6. drewcosten macrumors member

drewcosten

It looks like it wasn't actually necessary, as Lion will hold onto your old FileVault settings for encrypted home folders. You just can't encrypt other non-encrypted home folders, and it looks like you have to turn FileVault off for encrypted accounts if you want to use FileVault 2 to encrypt the whole disk.