Remove forced country line in contacts?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by benmrii, Jun 25, 2011.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Has anyone come across a way to remove the forced "Country" line in the iPad (and iPhone) address book? First we're force formatted into the antiquated (XXX) XXX-XXXX phone format, now it seems we're forced into adding another line to addresses that for many of us is unnecessary the vast majority of the time. I'm hoping there is a workaround.

Even when editing the addresses, or entering them initially, via the web-interface of MobileMe without any data in the Country field, the iPad (and iPhone) adds it.

To clarify, I am not asking how to change the country that is auto-populated (which for those needing to do this can be altered by going to Settings -> General -> International -> Region Format). I am asking how to remove any data from appearing in this line unless I specify a country. Thank you.

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

What is antiquated about the phone format? I receive dozens of unwanted phone calls because the caller fails to include the area code and they reach personal phone instead of the commercial number they want. If they used this format it would save me time and money. Being I have a cell phone I pay for all of these calls.

In regards to the country issue, I tried swipping the field In the Contacts app to see if it would give a delete button and instead it gives a scrolling list of counties but no selection for leaving it blank. I did not know you could access this list in this way.

3. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

Having the area code isn't antiquated, but forcing the format of the phone number so that the area code is in parenthesis vs. 212.555.1234 or 212-555-1234 has been ever since ten-digit dialing.

Same. No options in Settings. I don't hold out much hope.

4. elolaugesen macrumors regular

Country forced

I live in the UK now and have addresses from Canada, Denmark, united kingdom and other places. They are now all from united kingdom..... Come on apple change this to make default blank unless we ask for a specific code.

That is like forcing salutation for names.

5. Monora macrumors newbie

Contacts country settings

Just double tap the country you wish to be your default

6. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

Until one of those options is "Leave space blank" it remains an unnecessary address line that Apple has decided is better for all of us and therefore requires, much like the antiquated forced format for phone numbers without an option to change.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I've been searching for a solution to this as well. All my contacts are in the United States, so I don't need my contact listing this.

I discovered a round about way to fix this. I delete the country on my Macbook Pro's contact list and then a double address shows up via iCloud on my iPhone, so I delete the first address. Then the country will show up again on my computer's contact list. I have to delete it once more and then it also deletes in my iPhone contact list.

Apple really needs to let us decide if we want a country line on our contacts via our iPhone.