Remove glass panel for HDD+GPU

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mobius 1, May 13, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Can i replace GPU?

iFixit says that if you open the machine the lcd and screen will be impossible to be spotless like new :(

how do i do this without the lcd and screen dirty?

2. maxinc macrumors regular

Make sure there isn't much dust in the room you intend to do this. Keep your fingers away from the inner glass and lcd screen and don't sneeze :D

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

No you cant replace the GPU.

Its an "all in one" computer. No GPU, no CPU replacement.

Regardless.

Ive taken the screen off of my own personal iMac at least a dozen times. No dust any time.

Either they are in a dusty building or they have a ton of people flying around their office.

Never an issue.

4. Crwoo macrumors newbie

Yes and no, it is possible to replace GPU if its bad for a new one, but you cant just plug in any GPU like in home brew boxes.

5. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I'm sure I read somewhere that the new 2011 iMacs would be possible to upgrade the CPU & GPU as upgrades become available?

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Older iMacs had GPU soldered to the motherboard. Newer ones use the MXM interface and are replaceable. If you can find a vendor that will sell mobile graphics to end users, please let me know.

The CPU is mounted in a ZIF socket, so you can remove and replace the CPU. If you replace, the CPU with a different one, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not it will work. If you try it, please let use know.

7. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess i use hackintosh too much