Remove hard drive before having the broken topcase repaired on SR Macbook by Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tsice19, Jun 18, 2010.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

The top case of my Santa Rosa Macbook cracked, and it is my understanding that is can be fixed for free even out of warranty.

However, I want to know If I can remove my hard drive before I take it into Apple.

I want to be able to access my files though an external enclosure while I'm away from the mac, and I additionally want to keep the drive in case something should happen to the Mac while being repaired. Wouldn't want to lose my files!

For me, removing the HD is easier than imaging the whole drive.

Thanks.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I'd first find out from Apple if they will fix it for free. If so, then ask them if you can remove the hard drive first. Nobody here can give you an official answer; only Apple can do this.

3. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Alright, thanks for the help.

4. pdubak macrumors member

It will be repaired for free under the quality program if the cracks are on the palm rest area provided your computer was purchased within 3 years.

5. johnnyham macrumors regular

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/08/apple_addressing_cracks_on_white_macbooks_casings.html

Apple will replace the case if it is cracked due to age. I'm not sure if this still applies today since that article is from over a year ago, but like others have suggested, give Apple a call and see what they have to say. You'll most likely have to take it in to a service provider who will judge if the cracks are from user fault or manufacturing, then send it in from there.

From Apple's Macbook Service FAQ:
    Obviously if it's just a case replacement, they wouldn't bother touching the HDD, but I would tell them that you would prefer to keep the hard drive rather than send it in along with the computer. I don't see why they would object.