Remove hidden files from folder for Windows users

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Busy Bee, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Busy Bee macrumors Demi-God

I have to supply a generated set of files — a couple of dozen logos as .eps files — in a folder containing some other nested folders to a small enterprise that uses PCs for their day to day work.

The people I'm dealing with are not very IT-savvy and if I could, I'd provide a set of these folders and files without the corresponding invisible files that usually have a dot at the beginning of their file-names.

I'll probably zip the whole lot up and email, rapidshare or yousendit it over to them so they can unpack it and get to business without me having to explain what all those files with the dots are, and how to get rid of them.

Any advice or simple how-to methods much appreciated. Cheers. :)

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Those files are created automatically by Mac OS X to save, I believe, preferences of the folder.

At any rate, searching for an Applescript on google or here that can show hidden files/folders in the Finder could help you. I know you can toss the .dstore and whatever the other file may be away without any harm to the contents of the folder, but I don't know when the Mac OS will create, or if it will, them again after. Maybe the OS will create those files again once you make an archive, defeating the whole process.

Otherwise, if you have access to a PC then you can attach your flash drive to it, toss the .files that will show up in Windows, and then create your archive.

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

i would just open the file in windows... and delete them yoursef :apple:

4. Olivier L. macrumors member

5. Busy Bee thread starter macrumors Demi-God

Thanks. Helpful... but I don't have access to Windows either on Bootcamp or on a PC at this end, otherwise I would have done it myself. I might see what I can with this using Terminal and see what comes out in the wash. It's an occasional problem with certain clients.

It would be easier to email them the separate files, but they all have to sit within a specific 3-4 level-deep folder structure that I don't want them messing with.

Also relevant. Thanks. :)