Remove icon from dock after exiting??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beckiebr, May 12, 2011.

1. beckiebr macrumors newbie

Is there a way to set a default to remove an icon from the dock after exiting the program (assuming it isn't an item set to show up in dock). For example, excel isn't set-up as a default dock item, yet when I exit the program the excel icon remains on the dock and I have to manually exit it from dock. I would love to set-up my Mac globally or program by program if I must to automatically remove it from the dock upon exit.

thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My guess is that you're not quitting Excel. When you close your active spreadsheet, Excel keeps running so that you can open other files quickly (without having to wait for Excel to start up again). If you've finished with Excel then choose Excel > Quit from the menu bar or press Cmd-Q.

3. simsaladimbamba

Are you sure you actually quit the application (CMD+Q or File > Quit)?
    Normally icons from applications not stored on the Dock disappear after being quit, but maybe you have an older Mac OS version?
    It worked that way for me since 10.2, thus I assume 10.1 and 10.0 work the same.

To learn more about Mac OS X:

4. beckiebr thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhhh, I was simply closing the spreadsheet not actually exiting the program. By exiting it goes away- I will just do that for now on. Thanks!