Remove iTunes Movies DRM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roadbloc, Jan 5, 2011.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Now I know how this looks... but trust me, I'm not here to commit piracy. I just wish to see my TV shows/Movies on my big screen. My FreeSat box has a USB port which reads many many file formats, but not iTunes protected .m4v's.

Is there any way at all to remove the DRM and convert the files into something like .mp4 or .avi or .mpg? I know it isn't strictly legal, but I'm not forking out £99 for a :apple:TV and having another household running appliance when my FreeSat box can do just a good a job.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not really. There are some paid apps that will do it, but I'm not sure how well they work.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

There are various approaches. Typically what the tools will do is play back your video on your Mac, and then take a screen capture of the video as it is playing back. They will then re-encode the video using whatever settings you like.

They work, but the process is slow. I've used Ambrosia Software's Snapz Pro X, for example, to capture streaming flash videos.

There are "DRM stripper" tools floating around but they are not legal and stop working fairly quickly as Apple circumvents whatever loophole they use to crack the encryption.