Remove java in lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mentaluproar, Apr 8, 2012.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

With all this fuss about the flashback Trojan, I realized I never use java. I don't remember why I even have it installed. There must be some way to remove java. Does anyone know how?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Java is not installed by default in Lion. In Snow Leopard and below it is not able to be removed without making the system unstable.

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to remove it. Just disable it in Safari.

1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Check your DNS settings by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. Make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

6. stuartdunkeld macrumors newbie

That may be true is you're the only person who uses your computer. I want to uninstall Java from our family macbook as there aren't any applications that use it (that I couldn't replace). I can and have disabled it in Safari, Chrome and Firefox (must remember to do Camino as well in case anyone uses that) but I can't protect that option and anyone could enable it in any of the browsers running as a standard user: if I uninstall it though, it can't be reinstalled without the admin password which only I know.

What's really bugging me is that the Java for OS X 2012-00x update removed the -uninstall option for Java and so I have to jump through the hoops detailed in http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/24131/uninstalling-java-on-lion

(I wonder why you don't also recommend running as a Standard user, which is strongly advisable when other people use the account, and is only a slight chore?)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can certainly uninstall it if you want, but there are some legitimate websites that won't function properly without Java enabled. Perhaps you never visit such sites, but if you do, you may find yourself reinstalling Java.
    The difference between running an admin or standard account is negligible. There are no great security benefits to running as a standard user.

8. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

These instructions worked for me. The javatester website says the plugin is missing. Now to see how long I can last without flash.