Remove keyboard protector at every star

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mazzy89, Dec 3, 2013.

1. mazzy89 macrumors member

Hi guys I bought just couple of days ago silicon keyboard protector for my Macbook Pro Retina Display Late 2013 15''. The link show you the product I bought http://www.ebay.it/itm/271265787839...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 What I ask to myself from yesterday and what I ask to you just now is if I have to remove it at every time I turn off my mac and close the screen. What do you think? Do you think it is better to leave it without reporting any scratches at the screen ? Do you know if the screen protector could get in touch with the screen?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The surface of your screen is glass.
    Your keyboard protector is a (soft, cushy) silicone material.
    What makes you think that the keyboard protector - even if contacting the screen - will mar the screen surface in any way?
    AT MOST, if key tops touch the screen surface, there may be transfer of finger oil, easily cleaned from the glass surface.

In my opinion - if the top will close with the protector in place, then that should be OK to leave it in place.
    Do the instructions say that you should leave the protector in place, or that you should remove it each time you close the lid?

3. mazzy89 thread starter macrumors member

Really I have not checked the instruction yet in the box if I leave it on the keyboard. I have not the instruction with me now but I would like to have feedbacks from some users and not instructions from a simple sheet. My concern is about the pressure that could be come between the keyboard and glass.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There's a quick method to test for your own knowledge.
    Moisten the key caps on the protector (just moist, not wet), while it is in place on your keyboard.
    Close the lid (gently).
    Check for transfer to the glass.
    If you are concerned about too much pressure on the glass, and the protector does contact the glass, then you shouldn't leave it in place when you close the lid.

5. TooSmooth macrumors member

One of my friends has one of these types of protectors. It leaves an imprint of the keyboard on the screen (can be cleaned off).

Looks horrible, and seriously are you spilling stuff on your keyboard all the time or something? I don't think the issues out-weigh the positives of using something like this.

6. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

i never leave my keyboard protector.
    i'm using keyboard protector from xgearlive. and all is fine.

7. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Even on the screen with no keyboard protector after a while you can see where they keys are on the screen. They touch by default but just barely.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, those marks are almost always oils from your fingers. A gentle cleaning with a mild glass cleaner - or even plain water - will remove those marks in seconds. It's not like the older laptops that had a relatively soft covering on the screen, that you needed to be extremely careful when cleaning. The glass surface now is pretty rugged (although you have to remember that the glass is fragile, and won't survive much of a knock :D )

9. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I always use a screen saver to separate the keyboard and screen.

http://www.radtech.us/products/notebookscreensavrz

If you put the laptop in a computer bag you are likely to put pressure on the sides pressing the display against the keys. The keys may have dust or other debris which can rub against the display and scratch it.

I like the Radtech cloth but you can use any soft, clean cloth for this purpose. I always use this on my 2010 MBP and its screen is still pristine even though the computer is in my computer bag a lot as I travel cross country frequently on business. It is cheap insurance.