remove lion server - apple's instructions don't say install

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by matthew12, Aug 17, 2011.

1. matthew12 macrumors member

matthew12

How do you completely uninstall Lion Server? Apple on;y has instructions to "disable" Lion Server. I want my old regular OS X back since Server makes no sense to me. Help!

2. Foogoofish macrumors regular

Foogoofish

Server is a bolt-on. You don't need to uninstall it, just disable all the server parts and don't use it.

OR you could wipe your HD and install Lion again.....

3. Uelogy macrumors newbie

I bought a 2010 mini server, and disabled all the server functions. I still found the machine to be unacceptably sluggish in handling network and user account related tasks.

Even loading System Preferences was sluggish.

I eventually wiped OS X Server 10.6 and installed the consumer build of Lion. The machine has been running much happier ever since.

Now I can't say for sure that the server elements were the cause of my grief. However, the lag was always associated with server-ish/system type tasks, and ever since go back to 'basic' OS X things just run as I would have expected.

I am using the machine in a 'consumer' capacity, and had no need for any of the server related features. I bought the Mini Server as it eliminated the DVD drive and offered the second Hard Drive as standard.

4. theom macrumors newbie

How to do the server wipe and standard Lion reinstall?

If I may ask,
    How did you go about the reinstall of the standard Lion OS?
    Did you install from a dvd rom, ram stick, or the live download thing?

I plan on purchasing a 2011 mini server but plan on using it for a DAW so I'd rather have the standard Lion OS. I need to know how to do the server wipe and standard Lion reinstall.

5. Uelogy macrumors newbie

TargetDisk mode

What I ended up doing was making an install DVD from the OS X Lion installer.

Then using my MacBookPro in TargetDisk mode, the MacMini was able to identify the MacBookPro's DVD drive when booting up, holding-C.

From there it was a standard install.

6. jackhdev macrumors 6502

If you just hold down Command + R when starting up your Mac with Lion on it, something called "Recovery Mode", which is new with Lion, should come up. You have disk utility, firmware password, Terminal, and the option to download and reinstall Lion. This is like having the install DVD built into your computer.

7. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Anyone know how to uninstall Lion Server? I just purchased VirusBarrier X6 and it won't install because it says I'm running Mac OS X Server - even though I've followed the Apple instructions to disable it.

8. rwwest7 macrumors regular

Reload.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You had Snow Leopard Server, which is a different beast than Lion Server. Snow Leopard Server wasn't just an add-on and its networking (particularly) is extremely sluggish when not configured properly.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

All of the pieces of Server, other than the management interface, exist on the "Desktop" OS X. Turn off the "Server" services, delete Server.app, and you're back to "Desktop" status in all but name.

11. rwwest7 macrumors regular

Even after doing all that you still can't install programs that won't run on "server". It still sees it as a server.

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak