Remove .Mac menu bar icon (10.5.2)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kuebby, Feb 11, 2008.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

When I upgraded to 10.5.2 a .Mac icon was placed in the menu bar. I don't use .Mac so I'd like to get rid of it but I can't figure out how. Every other icon in the menu bar can be removed/changed via System Preferences except for the .Mac one as far as I can tell.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Hold the Option Key and then click and drag it off the menu bar. This works for other Apple menu bar icons like battery, Airport, Input menu, Sound, Displays, etc.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Right click on the menu bar icon, select open .mac preferences, so to sync, and uncheck the "Show status in menu bar" checkbox.

4. bearda macrumors 6502

If you don't have a .Mac account you can't go to sync, that's the whole problem. killmoms' solution worked great, but I had to hold the apple key down, not option.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Ah, my bad, was trying to remember which one it was... clearly I picked wrong. Glad you figured it out. :D

6. Rezadarius macrumors newbie

Rezadarius

Option + Command key to delete

Thank you killmoms,
    I had some annoying icons like VPN, Mobile me sync, phone connection ... for long time but I got to delete them finally with holding command+option key and drag them out of their place,
    Thanks

7. nadashda macrumors newbie

i was able to do that with the icons that were originally there but not with the ones i downloaded by mistake can plz help me thanx

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

When certain apps use the menubar, there are two different APIs they can use. One allows you to drag them off the menubar and rearrange with the cmd key, the other does not. For ones that don't, there's almost always an option to get rid of it by looking in the preferences of the app in question.