Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjolly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Hi,

By default the macOS has the 'Notification Center' icon fixed to the top menu bar.

I have searched the whole internet and tried all suggested softwares to try and remove the notification center icon from the menu bar, but none of the softwares are able to remove it. The closest resolution seems to be to disable the notification center (through a terminal command), but that's not enough as I wish to completely get rid of the icon and the feature itself. I visually need this icon to go away so something else can take its place on the top right corner of the screen.

Is there anyone who's got this figured through a script or something? Highly appreciate your help.

I'm using a macOS Mojave 10.14.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
even the app 'bartender' (which, in earlier OSes, had that option), no longer does (have that option). i'm curious about this too; curious, but not optimistic...

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Some apps can be removed or rearranged by holding down the CMD key when clicking the app icon - this does not seem to work with notifications - but you can turn the notifications off by pulling down with the mouse and selecting the "Do not Disturb" option

It won't remove the icon but the banners and alerts will be deactivated.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Some apps can be removed or rearranged by holding down the CMD key when clicking the app icon - this does not seem to work with notifications - but you can turn the notifications off by pulling down with the mouse and selecting the "Do not Disturb" option

It won't remove the icon but the banners and alerts will be deactivated.

right (mine's deactivated always). but that's not the question....

rjolly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Yea. The question remains... how to completely get rid of the icon?

I'm sure there's a way or script that can do it. Need a super mac expert on this, the usuals won't do.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yea. The question remains... how to completely get rid of the icon?

I'm sure there's a way or script that can do it. Need a super mac expert on this, the usuals won't do.

am pretty sure it's not do-able (at least, the bartender people say so), it's buried too deep in the OS. but will keep an eye on this thread in case...

quicksite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
This is an old thread, but just want to point to an answer read on Stack Exchange. NOTE: this answer is from 2016, so perhaps it is obsolete but it essentially says: It's partially do-able, but requires first disabling SIP, running terminal commands, then re-enabling SIP.

QUOTED FROM THAT PAGE:

due to System Integrity Protection, you must first boot into recovery mode, start a terminal and execute the following:

Code:
csrutil disable; reboot

Then you can easily disable it with

Code:
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist; killall NotificationCenter

You can remove the icon with

Code:
sudo rm /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/Resources/menuitemNormal.pdf

but the blank space will remain. After deleting the menuItemNormal.pdf file, the area is still a blank clickable space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.