General Remove old tweak files.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bandofbrothers, Aug 8, 2016.

1. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Just read this on idownloadblog on how to remove redundant old files left after a tweak is uninstalled.

This is via ifile.

'Pro tip: clean up leftover preference files after uninstalling jailbreak tweaks'

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/0...weaks/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Currently I use iCleaner to clean up.

Is iCleaner enough or do people use the tutorial as per the one in iDownloadblog ?

Many moons ago I used ifile to help with theming etc.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

No, iCleaner doesn't remove unused preference files, you have to do them by hand. If you're a regular jailbreaker (and you keep using the same backup), there are typically pref files in there that were last modified years ago, so yeah, cleaning that folder out every now and then doesn't hurt. But it doesn't gain you any performance or much storage space either.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Great info! Was able to finally and completely remove MovieBox from cydia and my iPhone.

4. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

I just had a look at var/mobile/Library/Preferences and found some memorable blasts from the past, including apptap.Installer, thespicychicken, cycorder, etc - going as far back as OS1 in 2007. Needless to say, I've always restored from backup.

5. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Same.

Some very old files from deleted tweaks long ago. ;)

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Here some other directories to check for tweaks remains:

/var/root/Library/Caches

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences

/var/root/Library/Preferences

/var/mobile/Library/Caches