Remove or integrate [Google Mail] folder in Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Matt T, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

I have my Gmail account setup with IMAP in Mail 3.0 (Leopard), with about half a dozen labels that of course appear as folders in Mail's sidebar. Labels that I create myself appear as normal folders and look quite nice and neat, but Gmail has it's own "[Google Mail]" folder (which has a white folder icon rather than the default blue?) which contains my All Mail and Starred folders.

Ideally I would like both the All Mail and Starred folders to appear in my mailbox section along with drafts, junk, ect. - but I know that this is probably not possible. But I'd be happy to settle for just removing the [Google Mail] folder and having All Mail and Starred appear as normal folders. Dragging them out of the [GM] folder gives me the following error;

"The IMAP command "RENAME" (to All Mail) failed with server error: Folder name "All Mail" is not allowed. (Failure).

So obviously it's trying to move the All Mail folder on the Gmail server itself, which Gmail doesn't like.

I've also tried changing the IMAP path prefix in account setting to [Google Mail], which put All Mail and Starred as normal folders but then removed all my other folders and screwed with my messages - I was forced to revert to my old setting and re-download all my messages again. All 7500+ of them.

Does anybody know of any hacks or plugins or workarounds that could help me out here? I know it's silly and OCD-ish, but it really bugs me having this [Google Mail] folder in my sidebar.

2. Sir Lorad macrumors member

I don´t think you should mess up with this folder.

Let it there quiet and alone.