remove or undo a terminal script

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by swope1221, May 17, 2015.

1. swope1221 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I ran a script that deletes time machine backups older than a certain number of days. My question is how do I reverse this? I want to basically undo remove the effects of the script. Thanks.

Eric

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no easy way to undo a delete like that. If you used commercial a data recovery application, you might be able to recovery some of the deleted data.

3. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Weasel, thanks for your response. I wasn't clear in what I wanted. I want what the script does, but apparently it keeps these settings permanently. I.e. It deletes all time machine backups older than 10 days, but keeps doing this. Is there a script I can run to remove the settings this script creates, so it doesn't always delete backups older than 10 days.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you post the script and explain how you are running it.

5. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a link to the script https://github.com/emcrisostomo/Time-Machine-Cleanup
    I'm just running it in terminal.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

That page has the step on how to stop it. From the directory where you copied the scripts, enter
    Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    in Terminal.

7. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks chrfr. I wasn't sure if that uninstalled the script or just broke the symbolic link.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

The documentation explains it. The uninstall removes the links; you would remove the scripts by deleting that folder.