Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbkate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
I installed the upgrade to Mojave 10.14.4 now my mac doesn't connect with my printers and I can't add them. Is there a way to go back to the version I was using before this upgrade

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Your printers, like my old CanoScan 8600F, may not be supported any longer. As chabig suggested, get us details about the printers and we might be able to determine some options.

On my issue, VueScan also did not work.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Instead of going back, go forward. Let’s figure out your printer problem. Details please...
One of the things that rubbed me the wrong way with macOS is the peripherals and support. I'm sure the OP would love to move forward but that may not happen if the printer he uses no long is supported.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Yes, you can "go back" if you really want.

But without a bootable cloned backup (created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper), that's going to be a "long, hard journey".

What you'll probably need to do:
1. Download either CCC or SD.
2. Use either one to create a cloned backup of the Mojave install. Disconnect this and put it aside -- you'll need it later on.
3. You'll need a copy of the High Sierra installer. Get it here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12
Download the HS installer but DO NOT RUN IT yet. Just leave it in your applications folder (where I believe it will download to).
4. You'll need a USB flashdrive 16gb or larger. ERASE it to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled
5. You'll need DiskMaker X. Get it here:
http://diskmakerx.com/downloads/DiskMaker_X_701.dmg
6. Use DiskMaker X to install a bootable copy of the High Sierra installer onto the USB flashdrive. This can be done with a very few clicks of the mouse.
7. Now boot from the USB flashdrive installer (press power on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears -- you can select the USB drive and hit return)
8. When you get to the installer, QUIT IT and go to Disk Utility instead.
9. ERASE the internal drive to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format.
10. Now quit DU and re-open the OS installer.
11. Install High Sierra onto the internal drive. This may involve one or more reboots and will take some time. BE PATIENT.
12. When the install is done, you'll see the setup screen.

What I would attempt at this point is to connect the backup and see if migration assistant will permit you to migrate ONLY your user folders and [maybe] settings. I don't know if you can migrate apps from a backup that has newer version of the OS than your "target" drive.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to do a "manual migration and reconstruction".

See what I said about a "long, hard journey"?
This is what happens when you do a system software upgrade without a bootable cloned backup.
Go forth from this day, a sadder and wiser user, and learn!

Final thought:
If you don't want to do the above, and you can't get the old printers to work, then perhaps the easiest "way forward" is to start shopping for a new printer...

bbkate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
Well I reset my computer to factory settings and have now have it set up with High Sierra. My printers still don't work and have had a guy look at the problem with no luck solving it. Now I need to buy a new printer any recommendations - need colour laser printer.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well I reset my computer to factory settings and have now have it set up with High Sierra. My printers still don't work and have had a guy look at the problem with no luck solving it. Now I need to buy a new printer any recommendations - need colour laser printer.
It'd be useful to provide some information about your existing printer, probably in a new thread at this point. There may be someone here who's had some experience with it. Or, the printer may just be broken.

Panthera Tigris Altaica

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
In the Frozen North, of course.

re the old printer:
1 what is the printer's make and model?
2 how is the printer connected to the Mac (Bluetooth, USB2, USB3, Ethernet, 802.11 wireless? If wireless, what security setup? WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPS?)
3 does the printer work with other computers, Mac, Windows, Linux, something else?
4 how old is the printer?

re the possible new printer:
1 what size output do you need? Letter/A4? Legal? Tabloid/A3? Something else?
2 what quality media are you using? Heavy stock, photopaper, standard stock, light stock, transparecies?
3 what is your budget?
4 what duty cycle do you need?
5 what are you using this for?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

You sure its the OS, and not the printer that didn't work ? You probably could have stayed with Mojave and just bought a new printer.. That wound be the essayist solution, if the manufacture of the printer doeesn't provide a driver anymore for older OS's

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
If a new thread is started, please post the link to it here.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I bought a Canon MF 735cx, MF 735cdw in the US, back in November and it has been great. The quality of the prints, color and scans are superb. The OS and mobile support is excellent, supporting a multitude of standards. It just works!

The printer is still using the factory provided toner cartridges for colors and black, usage may vary. The toner cartridges are a bit expensive, as with quality products, so you have to shop around for a good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.