Remove OSX from macbook and put on Win 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boonlar, Apr 20, 2010.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

Is this possible? My mom has a macbook pro and I want to put windows 7 on it. Do you have to have OSX on it to boot or can you have windows on it by itself?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Can I just ask? Why even buy a Mac if you plan on removing OSX? That's just stupid, its a great OS. Leave OSX on your mac and use bootcamp for Windows 7 or just simply buy a Windows Machine. I'm sorry but just having Windows on a Mac machine is by far the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Sorry.

3. Chromide macrumors newbie

You can have just Windows 7. I work at a university and the football team's video department got two top of the line macbook pros donated....fist thing they did was kill OS X and put just Windows 7 on them....I cringe everytime I go into that office and see them.

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Easy answer: the hardware. If I could find a windows machine that has the same build as a mac, I would buy it. Unfortunately, NO manufacturer is on the same level as Apple in terms of design and function.

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

:eek: ................. that's the funniest damn post all day!

Yeah, removing OSX for Winshiet is just too funny!

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ok good, I was hoping there was enough "LAWL y U put windrrZ on yer Mackbook??" posts though no one asked for such :rolleyes:

OP that wouldn't be a good idea. Even if you don't need to use it, you need OS X on it to do firmware updates and also to recreate the bootcamp partition if something ever happened to your hard disk. If you install Windows on it and set it as the default partition to boot from, it'll be pretty much transparent to your mom unless she messes around in the control panel and starts playing with the boot camp preferences.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can have just Windows on it, though personally I don't think it's worth it. I mean you bought a Mac to use OS X; if you want Windows, by spend more on an inferior product only to install Windows on it.

8. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

this. the easiest way would be to set it up through bootcamp as it is the easiest way to get all the windows drivers set up. Since you mainly want to use windows, I would shrink the osx partition as small as possible. Then, just install windows and set it as the default boot partition.

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Kind of sad when you think about it eh?

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

This is probably the most helpful post in this thread...