Remove package receipt. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dogbone, Jun 10, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Hi, I'm reinstalling mail.app for a friend who got upset and trashed her mail app. I informed her that she has not actually trashed any of her stuff, and I was wondering if I am going to reinstall the app should I trash the package receipt first.

2. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Still need help!

OK, I didn't get an answer so I left the package receipt intact and installed mail.app from the package on the install disk. I then went to update but no update was found and I suspect that this is because there's a package there telling it that it's already up to date. But I'm not sure about this either because I would have thought that the new install would have written a new package.

Anyway I was wondering if I should dump the receipt that is there and trash the app and reinstall the package or just leave mail 2.0 there, dump the receipt and try 'software update' again.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It depends on how the app was reinstalled as to whether a new receipt was made. My advice would probably be to drag the app and receipt to the Trash (but don't empty), reinstall it by either dragging it over from another machine or directly from the OSX discs. Then, run a software update and see whether any updates are listed. :)

4. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Hi Mad Jew, thanks for that. OK originally only the mail.app was trashed then the reinstall was done by double clicking the mail package on the install disk.

I notice that the mail package can be opened and in that is the plain mail.app which is what I presume you suggest I just drag into the app folder. I'll try trashing the mail.app and receipt and do the drag it over thing and see what happens...

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, try trashing them both and then double clicking the package again. You'll still have your receipt backed up in the Trash, if need be. :)

6. Puzzling macrumors newbie

tried 3 times, software update not happening ?

Thanks guys, I have followed these instructions, and tried to do this a few times .. everything is there as dogbone said, just that the mail program is now
    acting strange. . software update does not seem to be recognizing that mail program is not current ?:confused:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What OS are you running? Maybe try running the latest combo updater for your machine. :)