Remove photos following iPhone upgrade?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jent, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

My wife just upgraded from an iPhone 5 on iOS 7 to an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.

She restored from backup in iTunes and is pleased that all of her apps and app data were restored with no issue.

Due to space constraints, though, she doesn't want her old iPhone photos on her new iPhone. She's already imported them into iPhoto on her Mac and we have them saved. However when we go into her iTunes, connect her new iPhone, and go to the Photos section, "Sync photos from iPhoto" is unchecked. How can we safely remove the photos from her iPhone without affecting the iPhone 5 photos from her old phone that we imported into iPhoto on her Mac?

Thanks!

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Sync from iPhoto means you can take photos from iPhoto and put them back on your iDevice. Leaving it unchecked leaves them in iPhoto as they are now and not synced to your phone. They're saved in iPhoto just fine, and there is space on the iPhone for new photos :). That's how it works now, but I'm not sure how things will work once iCloud Photo Library and the Photos app is up and running. For now I wouldn't worry about it though.

3. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

Yes, but the issue is "Sync with iPhoto" is unchecked and her old photos are still on the new iPhone 6. Following the "restore from backup," that option was never checked.

She hasn't enabled any iCloud photo sharing, for what it's worth.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Did you delete the photos off of the iPhone 5 before you backed it up to restore the 6? Once you upload them into iPhoto you either have to tell it to take them off the phone or delete them yourself. Otherwise they're still on there.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try attaching the phone to the computer via USB them start Image Capture app. I believe that will allow you to move them off and delete then from the phone.