Remove retina 5k imac stand

Discussion in 'iMac' started by felipesalomao, Oct 11, 2015.

1. felipesalomao macrumors newbie

Hi, i am from brazil and as many people should know, Apple products are crazy expensive here.. I want buy retina 5k imac (I7 4.00ghz + 295x graphics), it cost here about USD 5000.00.. In USA it cost about USD 2700.00.. the question is.. I will travel to USA next year; I would like to bring imac in baggage.. But with stand it not fit in baggage, I would like to temporarily remove stand.. For this new imac, is that possible? I know that old macs are possible, but this new thinner design, I don't know for sure.. I only can buy if it come on baggage.. Because again, if I send it on original packaging to brazil (instead my own baggage), i will need pay 60% import fees, so would need pay USD 1700.00 fees (basically same crazy price here).. So, my unique alternative would be remove someway stand.. Thanks!

2. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Remember the $2700 does not include sales tax which is state dependent. Also, I think bringing an iMac anywhere in your baggage is going to raise questions and you'll likely be taxed before you leave America or when you arrive home.

3. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

well you could get the 5k imac with a vesa mount and get your own vesa stand

4. felipesalomao thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know local tax.. As will buy in Miami, it's about 6% only.. When bring it on baggage, it's hard need pay fees.. They check about 5 of 100 people.. Problem is fit inside baggage.. Veja mount is not option to me.. Only would be deal if could remove default stand and then recount it here.. Perhaps if not possible I should wait new design (next year I think), they should reduce bezels.. It's impossible to me pay USD 5000.00 for computer that worth USD 2800.00 (already too much expensive).. You American are lucky!! In my country minimum salary is R$ 800,00 (about USD 200.00), so imac is about 25x minimum salary, and in USA minimum salary is about USD 1350.00, it is only 2x minimum salary.. This is to show how hard is to buy apple products in brazil, especially an high end imac..

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The stands are not removable, they have not been since 2011. So you either need to find another shipping solution or purchase locally which means saving much longer.

6. felipesalomao thread starter macrumors newbie

And if open imac (i know it's little complicated.. But ifixit videos could help :) I could also add cheap ssd

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It sounds like a way of breaking your new computer before you even get it home to me. You could probably remove it if you were willing to open it up ruin your warranty and risk breaking a brand new $3000 dollar computer.

Not sure it's so easy to add a cheap SSD the macs all come with proprietry PCIe connected SSD's these days and they are not cheap and not available third party but I assume if you get one with a fusion there will be a SATA 3 in there you can use.

8. rawweb, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Why not just buy a used 2011 iMac? You could save a chunk of money, upgrade hard drives until your content and have the removable stand you're after. In all honesty, the processor and ram configurations aren't deal breakers compared to what's around today. Since you're after the 27" model, you could find a 3.4 GHz i7 with the AMD 6970M 2GB. It seems your needs more closely align this model vs the 2012-2014 models. A quick search of eBay reveals a few fully maxed 2011's for around 1,300 (USD)