Remove Scratches from Link SS

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by redsoxfan95, Jul 16, 2015.

1. redsoxfan95 macrumors newbie

We've all seen how to remove scratches from the SS Apple Watch. But the link bracelet is brushed SS. Has anyone had any experience with removing scratches on it?

2. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

Get a 3M green color scotch brite pad. Make sure to remove the band or the links in question and clean them with soap and water. Trim a small square section of the 3M pad just about the width of the band and lightly brush the area in the same direction as the brush marks that are on the band. Make sure to keep the pad straight in the direction of the brush marks. Always use even pressure and try not to brush too hard unless the scratches are deep. Brush the scratched area of the band until the desired finish is achieved.

I've done this with several of my stainless steel watches including my 42mm Apple watch with link band and if done correctly you will never have known the band was scratched.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I read that green scotch brite pad is supposedly way too aggressive and it's more appropriate to use the gray one, which is specifically used by pros for the purpose of refinishing brushed bracelets.

4. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

This is useful to know. Thanks.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just beware of how much pressure you are putting on the green pad as it IS rather aggressive but with light pressure it should work. I would also get hold of the grey, less aggressive pad, just in case the green get out of hand and the grey pad should "tone" it back down.

6. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

Well going on personal experience the green pad works fine. If you follow the directions laid out in my previous post, take your time, and use light pressure you will be amazed by the results. Also if you do a bit of research the grey pads you speak of are of very similar grit to the green. I believe the chart showed 600 grit for green and 600-800 for the grey, so you'll have to find the very high count grey pads.

7. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

The grey is more consistent. The green has variable size grit and can create deeper artifacts which catch the eye, while the grey creates a much more uniform surface.

8. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

Never had an issue with the green pad but I may try a gray out of curiosity next time.

9. redsoxfan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help! Do you guys have a link for the gray pad? Getting the exact one seems important.