Remove screen from powerbook g4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by stixcom92, Aug 10, 2010.

1. stixcom92 macrumors newbie

So at work, I've got a powerbook G4, but the screen's all messed up. I've got it going through an external monitor right now, and is it possible at all to completely remove the screen, and just use the bottom half as a desktop? I know I'd be losing the airport, but we have wired internet. Would I be losing anything else, and would this work? Thanks.

2. stixcom92 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I know i'm not going to need to reattach the screen ever again, is there an easier way?

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

depends on your level of skill with tools, but yes, it's works fine.

you can remove the airport antenna/wires, but if it really matters, just leave them out the back, and wireless works fine. you can dress them up with shrink tubing if bare wires isn't the look you are going for...

to do it right, you need to get down to the logic board level (all apart). remove the power wires feeding the inverter, remove the display signal cable, remove the airport antenna wires if you don't need/want wifi, and then put it all back together. works just like a desktop with a built in keyboard and trackpad. :)

best of luck.

4. LordSeth macrumors newbie

not 100% sure it it's the same with the PB, but on the iBook, you lose bluetooth, too, if you disconnect the airport card/antennas. Probably not an issue for you, though.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah it should work. Just turn the whole thing off, take the battery out, then slice all the cables that go to the screen. Then just take the screen out, and your sweet :D