Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Further to the availability of very reasonably priced high volume disks (>4tb), I plan to archive my business files once a year.

However, I would like to remove any security (ACL, Ownership, etc.) settings on all the files. Basically to avoid any further nonsense on these and because the hard drive will be placed in a bank safe.

I tried to see how to remove these via SUDO CHOWN etc. commands but have the feeling that is not sufficient.

Is there a command that will remove everything a literally make all files available once the disk is connected to the computer (ie. avoid "you need admin rights for this ...").

Thanks for advice

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What you want can be done with any Mac.
I can't speak for computers -other than- Macs because I'm a "Mac only" guy.

Try this and see for yourself.

1. Have the drive in question mounted on the desktop with its icon showing.
2. Click the icon ONE time to select it, then type "command-i" (eye) to bring up "get info"
3. At the bottom of get info, click the lock and enter your password
4. In sharing and permissions, put a checkmark into "ignore ownership on this volume"
5. Close get info.

This will allow you to open/manipulate almost any file on the drive.

Of course, the drives should be UNencrypted and NOT password-protected.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
What you want can be done with any Mac.
I can't speak for computers -other than- Macs because I'm a "Mac only" guy.

Try this and see for yourself.

1. Have the drive in question mounted on the desktop with its icon showing.
2. Click the icon ONE time to select it, then type "command-i" (eye) to bring up "get info"
3. At the bottom of get info, click the lock and enter your password
4. In sharing and permissions, put a checkmark into "ignore ownership on this volume"
5. Close get info.

This will allow you to open/manipulate almost any file on the drive.

Of course, the drives should be UNencrypted and NOT password-protected.

Hi,

Yes its Mac-only.

Tried your option. It works. There is a little caveat.

I had to close and open the finder window for the change to take effect (OSX 10.12).

SO this is workable, but assuming I would like to return to a generic permission scheme, what would be an "open" setting ? How does one remove the custom access lists ?

thanks again

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"SO this is workable, but assuming I would like to return to a generic permission scheme, what would be an "open" setting ? How does one remove the custom access lists ?"

Can't help with this.
I just use the method described in reply 2, and have never had a problem with it...

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I understand and observe that solution 2 works.
However it also means that the "permissions" are still archived they are only ignored.

This means that if someone wants to switch "on" the permissions to integrate the disk onto a new environment he "must" have Administrator rights to set the permissions to a new scheme.

If the permissions were set to "open" then setting new permissions does "not" require administrator rights. It's sort of not doing the archive correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.