Remove shutter sound from camera: iPhone 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Krologix, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Krologix macrumors newbie

I know what you are first thinking, "Easy, just turn your phone switch to silent." Well no it is not that easy. This phone was purchased in South Korea. In Asia there is no way to silent the shutter sound because from what I have read there are too many perverts taking pics under girls' skirts etc. So by law they have to have the sound at all times. The thing is, it is so annoying. Even if I want to take a screen shot at midnight at night when everyone else is asleep there is still "ka-chick" and when all is silent its quite intrusive.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to silent the Asian iPhone via a trick or an app or some other method that I am unaware of? I tried to find something and so far have come up with nothing, thus why I am here.

Thanks

2. 808? macrumors 6502a

You can't turn it off. It is designed that way for certain Asian markets.

Sell the phone and buy one from a market that doesn't require the shutter sound by law.

3. Krologix thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know, but I just bought the phone 3 months ago. Selling it and buying another is not really a viable option. I thought perhaps someone knew a way around the stock setting. If it was programmed that way, there must be a way to either remove that program or override it. For every lock there is a key.

4. Tyler23, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Only if you jailbreak.

And even then I don't think it's possible.

5. 808? macrumors 6502a

It is built into the hardware, precisely so it can not be turned off via software.

6. Krologix thread starter macrumors newbie

interesting. It is a hardware issue and not software?

There are times when I do take a pic and there is no shutter sound though, like as thought there is a glitch. I can maybe get away with taking only 1 or 2 pics and then the shutter sound comes back. That is why I figured it was software not hardware.

7. 808? macrumors 6502a

I had a number of friends rush to buy iPhones in Japan when supply was limited in Hong Kong, they all ended up regretting their purchases because of this annoying sound.

8. Krologix thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought someone might say that. Thanks.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes it's possible. I've done with with both my 3GS, my 5 and my 6+ on several different jailbreaks.

It's a simple matter of using iFile to go to the shutter sound file and rename it. End of story.

10. Krologix thread starter macrumors newbie

So it is software. I knew there had to be some way of doing it. Now, if I just knew how to DO that.

11. Krologix, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

Krologix thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I only had a month to go before going back to the US and I wish I had waited to buy the 6 there too.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbreak.

Install iFile.

Shutter sound is located here: System/Library/Audio/UISounds/photoShutter.caf

Notice I have named mine to photoshutter.caf.bak.

Attached Files:

13. Krologix thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet thanks for the info!

14. tonyc46 macrumors newbie

I live in Thailand and bought my phone here. I can silence the shutter with the switch, so it's not all of Asia.

There are a couple of methods do it if you are jailbroken (or you want to do it).

15. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

No perverts in Thailand?! Eyoungren's method is your answer.

16. Yette macrumors newbie

Yette

Hello, any update? Do you already turned off your phone shutter sound? I actually have the same issue. Anyway i try the iFile thing. They say needs to go to system/library/audio etc. but when i go to system there is no next folder. Any updates how u turned off urs?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 8, 2017 ---
    Hi sir. So i have the iFile thing now. I have the same issue. Do I need to jailbreak my phone before doing that trick. I have an iphone 6. Hope u can help me

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You cannot have the iFile I am referring to without a jailbreak because iFile is a jailbreak app.

Anything found in the app store that may or may not be named iFile or iFiles is not going to let you browse the complete file system, much less make any changes.

It will also present a problem to you if your device is not jailbreakable. No jailbreak, no iFile.

18. Yette macrumors newbie

Yette

H
    i got this one from google. Let me show u sir. Is that the correct ifile?

Attached Files:

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The icon looks correct.

If you can't find the folder in the directory then there are a number of possibilities. A fake jailbreak, a fake iFile app come to mind.

If you never jailbroke to begin with then what you have is most certainly fake.

20. Yette macrumors newbie

Yette

I am really frustrated now. Huhuhu ! Been dealing with this for 1month now since i got the phone. Thank you sir anyway :) can u help me jailbreak my phone please.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What version of iOS is it running?

22. Yette macrumors newbie

Yette

I got the 10.3.2 now sir.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You'll have to wait.

There is no jailbreak for 10.3.2 right now. Anything you might find that claims otherwise will be fake.

24. Yette macrumors newbie

Yette

Hmm. Okay sir :( I think I just have to be used to it. Hahahahaha Wanna bring my ip5s back now thank you anyway. Godbless

25. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Just stop doing whatever you're doing and you should be fine. ;)