Remove SIM card before selling 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markmagee72, Oct 24, 2011.

1. markmagee72 macrumors newbie

I have an extra 4S (AT&T) that I am going to sell. I have never activated the sim card on this phone. Do I still need to take it out or just leave it in? The package is still shrink wrapped and I would prefer not to open it if I don't have to do so.

Thanks!

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

100% yes. I know this will mean opening it up but if you bought it as a subsidized price the SIM ICCID number was scanned in and associated with your account.

If the new person tries to activate it with that SIM it will kill your current SIM on that account and activate the number for that line on that phone.

But regardless never sell a phone with a SIM in it. It is useless to the new owner. Only exception is if it was bought contract free.

3. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

It depends on where you purchased it and was it an upgrade or a new line of service?

If it was a pre-order from Apple.com then the iPhone 4S will show your phone number and prompt the new ower the last 4 digits of your SSN and your billing ZIPCODE.

If you bought it new from Apple as a "Device Only" then there is no concern as nothing is tied to your account.

Dave

4. markmagee72 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks for the reply!

----------

it was an upgrade through AT&T.